Thursday, June 21, 2007

Father's Day

This is a hard to say. My sons father is a good man. Parenting has never been easy for him - but that doesn't make him a bad parent. He tries. He has always done the right thing - paid his child support, paid his share for the braces. He does not forget birthdays. He never missed important band concerts, or little league games, or graduations. But...

I think it is extraordinarily difficult for a man to admit that there may be something wrong with his child. Perhaps it is cultural. Perhaps a man thinks of his child as an extension of himself and any perceived flaw in the child is somehow transmuted into a greater flaw in the man. If the flaw is a birthmark, or bad teeth, or short stature, well, that's bad enough. But mental illness? How does that reflect on the father? In a culture that views brain disorder as a flaw of character or a lack of will or discipline, how unthinkable is that?

My sons father has chosen the option of denial. It is easier for him to see his son as lazy or irresponsible or even incompetent than it is for him to admit that he has a mental illness. It is preferable to think that he may "snap out of it" or "finally grow up" rather than admit that he will always live with a debilitating disease. Although I can understand this way of thinking, I also see the devastating effect that this has had on my son and their relationship. Neither will ever meet the others expectations. It is a tragedy twofold.

I hope that my sons father will eventually move on to acceptance. As an ex-wife and a mother there is little I can do to intervene. They sometimes find some peace together when they go camping, escaping the everyday traumas - as if a mutual love of the natural world can bind some of their wounds. My son loves his father and expects little of him. He loves his son and expects the unattainable. I bleed for them both.

Read Families on the Brink: The Impact of Ignoring Children with Serious Mental Illness here.

1 comment:

Julie Rodriguez Jones said...

I believe your account is not uncommon. Fathers expect the most from their sons and the "grow up" and "snap out of it" comments are pretty common. I think most fathers (and at least initially, mothers) feel it is some reflection on them personally. I think it is because of this that adoptive families see out help more readily and then this of course skews the statistics on the percentages of adoptive children have both learning disabilities and mental illness. Thanks for the post.