Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Beginnings

I've never had any desire to start a blog. My husband blogs. My kids blog. But it didn't hold any interest for me... mainly because I could never think of anything interesting enough to go on about, and on about, and on about. I think I lead an ordinary life.

However, I have a reason to begin this blog. You see, my life has been touched by mental illness. My father committed suicide at the age of 25. My mother suffers from depression. I have an uncle with serious bipolar disorder. But most importantly, from my point of view, my son attempted suicide a little over a year ago. I knew then, as I know now, that my life would never be the same.

Let me say again that I lead an ordinary life. Many people, in point of fact, all people live with the shadow of brain disorders. A child, a partner, a parent, a co-worker - everyone knows someone who suffers from depression, bipolar disorder, OCD or schizophrenia. You may not know it, but you touch people every single day who have these disorders, just as you touch people who have diabetes, heart disease and cancer. You may not know it, but mental illness is a part of your life as well.

And so I will blog. If it means I can share some understanding, share some knowledge or some insight or just my own experience, I will blog. For all these extraordinary, ordinary people.

No comments: