Tuesday, June 12, 2007

F 2 F


I have just returned from one of the most profound experiences of my life. I spent three incredible days at the Tierra Learning Center outside of Leavenworth, WA, attending a teacher training for the NAMI Family to Family program. I can't believe that it has been nearly two years since I attended F 2 F with my husband, still reeling from my son's suicide attempt. That twelve weeks was life altering, as we met other family members living with mental illness and began the healing process - learning about these devastating brain disorders, medications, social services, etc. but even more - learning to communicate and deal with the aftermath of crisis.

I spent the weekend with people who have been there, done that, and bought the t-shirt. Their stories of pain and unbearable struggle were stories of survivors and that is the point. Family to Family is taught by the people who do indeed know what it's like to love and live with a relative who is profoundly ill. Through shared experience we can connect with people and help them come to terms with their lives as caregivers and help them have a deeper understanding of the debilitating effects that these diseases have on their loved ones. If taking F 2 F is an act of healing, then teaching it is an act of love.

I am deeply humbled by the experience. I am also excited that soon I will share this process of transformation with families in my own classes. I am filled with gratitude for Ron and Bruce, Judie and Nancy for sharing their knowledge and their time. I also want to thank every single one of the amazing women that shared the class with me - for their empathy and courage.

Learn more about Family to Family here.

See the beautiful Tierra Learning Center here.

1 comment:

WB6NAH said...

You were meant to do this. I am so proud of you. ILU