Sunday, December 30, 2007

Auld Lang Syne (or days gone by...)

It's hard to believe that 2007 is coming to an end. As I look back at some of this blog, I realize what an incredible year that this has been for me. It's been a hard year, emotionally speaking, but one of many revelations and much growth. So many changes...

I think my son could say the same. He faces enormous challenges every day of his life just living. But I think he has more insight into his bipolar disorder than ever before. He lost a pretty good job this year. But he celebrated a year of marriage. He had a couple of pretty terrible patches. But he seems to be doing well on the medication changes that came from those breaks. He's found a support group. He's talking. One day at a time.

And me? I became an empty nester and have had the bittersweet experience of watching my daughter spread her wings. I opted to go out on my own again in my business - back to the labor of being self employed. I took my Family to Family training and taught my first class this fall - an amazing experience that was equally exhausting and rewarding. I keep plugging along with my support groups, keep plugging along at being married, keep plugging along at my unfulfilling work. Some days I feel that I have nothing left. Some days are good. Some days I need a Xanax to sleep.

This is life. My cup of kindness for those days gone by? I had all of my brood home for Christmas. We ate too much and watched silly movies and played games. It was a good day.

It is a good life.

No comments: