Sunday, September 2, 2007

New Beginnings

Next week I will be co-leading my very first Family to Family Education Program. Although I'll admit to some nerves, mostly about the details, I'm very excited to finally be able to share this amazing program. My husband and I were introduced to F2F the way most folks are - the hard way. My son had just attempted suicide and my sweet husband (we had married only 4 months before this and he is childless,) suddenly had a 21 year old living on his couch. This lump on the couch found it difficult to manage a daily shower and spent most of his time playing computer games or sleeping. I was a wreck with worry. Things were, to put it mildly, strained.

A dear friend of mine told me about this 12 week program that she had heard about and gave me a phone number. The class was starting that very week and we barely squeaked in. We began an odyssey of learning - about brain function, diagnosis, medication - so much information that I could hardly take it all in. As the class progressed we moved into other, scarier, territory. Feelings. Communication workshops. Problem solving. Grief. We moved through a process of self examination and self care. It wasn't just about understanding my son and his illness. It was about understanding our reaction to it and finding some peace with that knowledge.

Two years later I can see all that we got out of that 12 week commitment. My husband found some understanding of the boy on the couch - they have a solid relationship to this day. I formed a profound respect for my son and his courage, and he and I were able to heal many of our old hurts. We can talk more now. He is on a road of dramatic recovery, and although his disease will always be with him, we hope for the best life that he can have. Our family works together toward that end. Family to Family was the beginning. As I share all this with the families in this new class, I know they will find that beginning as well.

1 comment:

WB6NAH said...

You go girl. I know it will be a success.